Thursday 21 January 2016

The Impact Of Inhibition Across Different Domains | Know the Brain’s Braking System!

"There is a saying in Delhi – that because of heavy traffic and its unruliness, people drive on the roads here more with their brakes than the accelerator.Today, as I observed myself consciously in the acts of inhibitions I almost felt like that"

It appeared that perhaps I use my VLPFC (Ventrolateral prefrontal cortex) more than any other part of my cortical brain.
VLPFCRight in the morning as the alarm rang, I found myself agonizing over should I go for the jog, or steal another hour of sleep before another awfully full day. With so many thoughts to and fro... perhaps my frontal cortex short circuited and I fell back to sleep. Then,  as if in almost a fit, I yanked the quilt off me, got out of bed to prepare to run, as I had promised myself to lose another 2 kg of weight this fortnight. 

At the breakfast spread at the hotel buffet my stretched hand, which though had started to grab a croissant, went past it....and picked a boiled egg....as the VLPFC put brakes in the path of unnecessary calories going into my body.

In the program, a participant made a comment about a real issue he had, I glossed over it as I wanted to finish the section in time, but the brain’s braking system put the jam, reminding me that we are in the program to solve real challenges and not merely to tick some agenda items... I stopped and called on him to detail his challenge and involved everyone in the discussion. Later at the airport, found my flight is delayed. I thought of buying an earlier flight ticket, but the price of making a last minute booking, and the loss on cancelling an existing ticket made me stop.



It is amazing that once you start noticing, you realize how much the VLPFC guards you from going astray...and how grateful we should be to this Brain’s Braking System.


No comments:

Post a Comment